Detection of novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 in humans and surfaces
Detection of SARS-CoV-2 in humans
DNAlogy laboratories offer services for the detection of novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and seasonal flu using the following methods:
1. Rapid detection of SARS-CoV-2 antigen (Rapid Ag test)
The method of rapid antigen detection is based on the detection of proteins (antigens) on the virus surface, in nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal samples. The method is used for the detection of current infection and epidemiological surveillance using large sample numbers (π.χ. companies with many employees, large events and gatherings, general population, etc.). The reagent used for detection presents 97,54% sensitivity and 100% specificity.
Rapid antigen detection test are less sensitive than molecular detection tests because they are based on protein detection without amplification of the material, which is the case in molecular tests. Negative results should be confirmed with molecular testing, especially if symptoms of infection are present.
- Sampling for SARS-CoV-2 rapid antigen detection tests is performed at DNAlogy laboratories or at your place by prior appointment, and results are ready within 15-30 minutes.. The cost of the test is 9€.
2. Rapid detection of SARS-CoV-2 antigen and influenza A/B (Rapid COVID-19/FLU Ag Combo Test)
As novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 remains a threat for general population, concern is raised about an outbreak of a double epidemic wave. The seasonal flu onset is expected to coincide with a COVID-19 case outbreak. As symptoms caused by the two viruses are very similar, correct diagnosis is very important.
Our laboratories offer the opportunity of concomitant antigen detection of SARS-CoV-2, Influenza A (H1N1, H3N2) and Influenza B viruses in the same reaction, with the collection of a single nasopharyngeal sample.
- Sampling for SARS-CoV-2, Influenza A (H1N1, H3N2) and Influenza B rapid antigen detection tests is performed at DNAlogy laboratories or at your place by prior appointment, and results are ready within 15-30 minutes. The cost of the test is 28€.
3. SARS-CoV-2 PCR molecular testing with 40€
Molecular testing is based on the detection of the viral genetic material (mRNA) in nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal samples with 100% sensitivity and specificity, and is used for the detection of current infection.
In the first stages of the reaction, the viral genetic material (mRNA) is transcribed to cDNA which is then amplified over 40 cycles in order to be detected. With this method, two viral genes are detected concomitantly, the Ν gene which carries information for the construction of the Nucleocapsid protein and the S gene which carries information for the construction of the Spike protein which mediates entrance to human cells. These genes are recommended by CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and FDA (Food and Drug Administration).
The reagent used in our laboratories is very sensitive and can detect as low as 5 viral particles while it is capable to detect all variants with major spread in the population:
- Sampling for SARS-CoV-2 PCR molecular detection tests is performed at DNAlogy laboratories or at your place by prior appointment, and results are ready within 24 hours. The cost of the test is 40€.
4. SARS-CoV-2 and seasonal flu PCR molecular testing
Since the symptoms caused by SARS-CoV-2 and seasonal Flu present great similarities, this method allows for separation of the initial cause. Reagents used are specifically designed to simultaneously target specific regions on the genetic material of SARS-CoV-2 (ORF1ab and N genes), Flu A (Μ gene) and Flu B (NP gene) in one assay.
The method of simultaneous detection of SARS-CoV-2 and seasonal flu applies to nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal samples with 100% sensitivity and specificity, and is used for the detection of current infection.
The reagent used in our laboratories is very sensitive and can detect as low as 5 viral particles while it is capable to detect all SARS-CoV-2 variants present up to February 2020.
- Sampling for SARS-CoV-2 PCR molecular detection tests is performed at DNAlogy laboratories or at your place by prior appointment, and results are ready within 24 hours. The cost of the test is 80€.
Sampling/Detection of the SARS-CoV-2 virus on surfaces and objects
The DNAlogy genetics laboratories provide a special molecular test of critical environmental surfaces for detection of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 using the DNAlogy COVID-19 kit ®.
Surface testing of an interior space assesses your safe stay in this space, while at the same time it is a simple, non-interventional way to indicatively test for COVID-19 infection all persons using it.
Using the DNAlogy COVID-19 kit® your premises/facilities are tested:
- Economical: one test is enough to give an overall indication of the occurrence of the virus in the facilities (premised and human resources)
- Fast : results within less than 24 hours
- Discreet : the test is performed without the participation of persons using the premises
The procedure in 3 simple steps
When an infected person enters a space, they spread they virus even if they are asymptomatic.
Prevent the spread of the virus by regularly testing your facilities and premises, by using the DNAlogy COVID-19 kit®.
The DNAlogy COVID-19 kit® contains all the required equipment and instructions to collect and send your samples to the laboratory.
Testing is performed on communal critical surfaces (door handles, taps, toilets, A/C filters, lift buttons, etc)
Why test your surfaces for SARS-CoV-2?
For how long does the virus survive on surfaces?
“COVID-19 CONTROLLED on surfaces” certification
Obtain today “COVID-19 CONTROLLED on surfaces” certifications and confirm that your facilities are COVID-free!
A special team of DNAlogy experts studies the your activities and premises and creates a testing plan for your facilities. Then they visit your premises regularly and collect samples to detect the SARS-CoV-2 virus. In case of negative results the “COVID-19 CONTROLLED on surfaces” certification is given.
What is included in the kit:
* The special transfer vials contain preserving fluid, which deactivates the virus allowing the safe transfer of samples at room temperature.